Teeny Reid, 15.12.21
PE monitoring: I spoke with Mr Nottingham about PE across the whole school. He told me that a new skills based curriculum that focusses on skills that can be applied to a range of sports has been introduced. There are two specialist PE teachers. Nathen Walters for KS1 and KS2 and Emma Leake in early years. Half termly monitoring and observations are being carried out across early years and both key stages. This will help to work collaboratively and ensure threads of learning are consistent.
All children in KS1 and KS2 can swim at least once a term. Carefully chosen afterschool clubs are giving children the chance to take part in activities and sports they have expressed interest in. They are also signposted to clubs they can attend. The children at Mellers are taken to a variety of events outside of school with the aim that every child will have been to an event by the end of year six. Exciting things happening are:
- Mellers have recently won the Swim England’s ‘Primary School of the Year’ award.
- We are introducing PE ambassadors who will run lunchtime clubs.
- Launch of the walking to school tracker – encouraging and rewarding children to come to school in other ways apart from in the car.
- We will be launching ‘Walk and Talk’ in Spring 1. Children will spend time walking around and connecting with each other before registration, increasing their physical activity and their health and wellbeing.
- In January 2022, Notts active will be introducing ‘Me vs Me challenge’ in school.